Current:Home > ScamsCongolese army says it has foiled a coup attempt. Self-exiled opposition figure threatens president -PrimeFinance
Congolese army says it has foiled a coup attempt. Self-exiled opposition figure threatens president
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:18:14
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s army said it foiled a coup attempt early Sunday and arrested the perpetrators, including several foreigners, following attacks on the presidential palace and the residence of a close ally of Congo’s president that left three people dead in the capital, Kinshasa.
At first, local media identified the armed men as Congolese soldiers but then reported they were linked to self-exiled opposition figure Christian Malanga, who later posted a video on Facebook threatening President Felix Tshisekedi.
Malanga was killed at the presidential palace after he resisted arrest by guards, Congolese army spokesperson Brig. Gen. Sylvain Ekenge told The Associated Press.
Tshisekedi was reelected as president in December in a chaotic vote amid calls for a revote from the opposition over what they said was a lack of transparency. The Central African country has witnessed similar trends of disputed elections in the past.
Ekenge said on state television Sunday that the attempted coup d’état was “nipped in the bud by Congolese defense and security forces (and) the situation is under control.” Among the perpetrators were three Americans, including the son of Malanga, Ekenge later told the AP.
This also came amid a crisis gripping Tshisekedi’s ruling party over an election for the parliament’s leadership, which was supposed to be held Saturday but was postponed.
Clashes were reported Sunday between men in military uniform and guards of Vital Kamerhe, a federal legislator and a candidate for speaker of the National Assembly of Congo, at his residence in Kinshasa, about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the presidential palace and where some embassies are also located.
Kamerhe’s guards stopped the armed men, Michel Moto Muhima, the politician’s spokesperson said on the X social media platform, adding that two police officers and one of the attackers were killed in the shootout that started around 4:30 a.m.
Footage, seemingly from the area, showed military trucks and heavily armed men parading deserted streets in the neighborhood as the army said the situation has been brought under control.
Meanwhile, the self-exiled Malanga appeared in the live-streamed video at the presidential palace surrounded by several people in military uniform and said: “Felix, you’re out. We are coming for you.”
On his website, the opposition leader’s group — the United Congolese Party (UCP) — is described as “a grassroots platform that unifies the Congolese Diaspora around the world opposing the current Congolese dictatorship.”
Tshisekedi hasn’t so far addressed the public about Sunday’s events.
On Friday, he met with parliamentarians and leaders of the Sacred Union of the Nation ruling coalition in an attempt to resolve the crisis seizing his party, which dominates the national assembly. He said he would not “hesitate to dissolve the National Assembly and send everyone to new elections if these bad practices persist.”
The United States Embassy in Congo issued a security alert Sunday, urging caution after “reports of gunfire.”
___
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria. Associated Press writers Ruth Alonga in Goma, Congo, and Sam Mednick in Tel Aviv contributed.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- A minivan explodes in Kabul, killing at least 3 civilians and wounding 4 others
- Tina Fey consulted her kids on new 'Mean Girls': 'Don't let those millennials overthink it!'
- 'The Mandalorian' is coming to theaters: What we know about new 'Star Wars' movie
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Timeline: Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's hospitalization
- Tarek El Moussa Reveals He Lived in a Halfway House After Christina Hall Divorce
- Wisconsin lumber company fined nearly $300,000 for dangerous conditions after employee death
- Trump's 'stop
- Even Andrew Scott was startled by his vulnerability in ‘All of Us Strangers’
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Bottled water contains up to 100 times more plastic than previously estimated, new study says
- Dennis Quaid Has Rare Public Outing With His and Meg Ryan's Look-Alike Son Jack Quaid
- Upgrade Your 2024 Wellness Routine with Cozy Essentials & Skin-Pampering Must-Haves
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Aftermath of Sandman Signature Fort Worth Downtown Hotel explosion: See the photos
- Tiger Woods and Nike have ended their partnership after 27 years
- Melanie Mel B Brown Reveals Victoria Beckham Is Designing Her Wedding Dress
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
New labor rules aim to offer gig workers more security, though some employers won’t likely be happy
Stop Right Now and Read Victoria Beckham’s Birthday Note to “Loving Daughter in Law” Nicola Peltz Beckham
Rays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as judge analyzes evidence in ongoing probe
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Who's on the 2024 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot? What to know about election, voting
Oprah Winfrey denies Taraji P. Henson feud after actress made pay disparity comments
Former Michigan staffer Connor Stalions breaks silence after Wolverines win national title